20 July 2008

Why So Serious?

Apprehension. I can say I truly know what this word means at this point. Over the last 6 months I have been caught up in the anticipation that a trip to another country would naturally bring. However, I'm starting to have certain anxiety about my time in Spain. Strangely, it's not about what's going to happen to me while in Spain, but rather what's going to happen here without me. I'm sure so many things will change while I'm gone and I can't help but feel left out of my own life. Although I will miss my friends, family, and girlfriend, I know they will all continue to live life without me. I will continue to do the same. I will find new friends, I will have new experiences which I will treasure throughout my life.

Even though I am sure I will have a great time, I am beginning to become apprehensive about the upcoming semester. Is it worth it? Can I even compare the time I would spend here with my loved ones to the time I would spend discovering a new culture and myself? Only time will tell.

I have only six weeks and one day left until I must board my flight and head to my temporary life as a Spanish student. Things are about to get much more serious than I had originally thought.

We'll see if it's worth it.

No comments: